We wish to prevent two or more users from editing
a page (at the same time) - so for example, if
person A is editing something, person B and C cannot
edit it. This is for a admin backoffice - the page
in question would be a form where users could modify
content.

When person A has finished editing, someone else
can then edit it.

We want to prevent person A spending 30 minututes making
changes, person B comes in, makes a single change (and waits),
after person A saves, person B saves (and all changes that were
made by person A are now lost).

The problem is on how to release the "lock" on a page,
if the user just closes the browser (or loses the connection
to the site) we cannot unrelease the "lock" when they
have finished since we cannot identify when a
user has left.

We don't want something cumbersome like a javascript popup
asking the user 'Are you still editing?' every 5 minutes or
so (and unlocking if there is no response etc).

We could use a image pipe (from the browser to the server) to
use javascript to inform the server every minute or so
("I am still alive") and if this pipe is lost (ie the client does
not make any request to the server) the server will know
(via schedule etc) that its been >1 minute since the last
request was made and release the lock - are there
any disadvantages to this method?

Bimal Shah
Senior Web developer | Venus Internet Ltd | www.venus.co.uk
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | t: 0207 240 5858 | f: 0207 240 5859