At 10:20 AM 4/1/2, BEN MORRIS wrote:
> > http://news.com.com/2100-1001-872136.html
>
> I agree that flash is far superior to HTML for multimedia
> rich content.  But when it comes to posting documents and
> information, HTML/XHTML/XML is far superior to flash.
> Different tasks require different tools.

Ditto this. I've been a little bemused on how that "swf vs html" meme has
spread, particularly since Macromedia is obviously investing heavily in
HTML development as well. Documents aren't going away just because
applications increase!

I think part of it is that Flash MX is just the first release of the
Macromedia MX toolset... if ColdFusion MX was released at the same time as
Flash MX folks on the periphery would have a more complete picture.
Different pieces of the MX puzzle will arrive throughout the year.

Then again, getting the prime newspot on CNET isn't insignificant either...
the MX releases, even at this early stage, are getting a lot of attention.
>From what I hear of the long press leads for the next set of releases,
reporters are very bullish on how the various MX parts fit together. I'd be
more worried if it sank beneath the radar without controversy.... ;-)

However, Macromedia just makes the tools and servers... it's really the
development community which powers revolutions like this. Some time today a
new DesDev Center will go live, and there will be a discussion thread right
off my column for this very issue. Lots of Macromedians lurk on CF-Talk,
but if you have advice for the company about how these stories affect you
then it would be great to hear it through that Soapbox link, thanks!

(For search engines, try searching on terms like "google bomb" or
"invisible web", or using a qualifier like "filetype:swf" at Google, or
searching for "flash faq" at Atomz.com... the story is much bigger than
what is often described.)

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco CA US