I'd say the best is to not even use encryption, but a hash (message digest) instead.
Hash is sometimes called "encryption", but it can't be decrypted.

A hash (it's available as a CF function) is a one-way mathematical function.  There is
no decryption; only brute-force attack can tell you what a hashed value is. But the
hash is predictable, it always gives the same output for the same input.

So, hash the user's password and store THAT in the database.  Then, when the user
wants to login again, first hash the password the user's entered, then compare that
with the hashed password stored in the database.

Chris Norloff

from: Mak Wing Lok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:54:02 +0800