> does anyone know if sql server supports regular
> expressions? I have some text that gets entered
> into a database that i would like to parse inside
> a stored procedure instead of doing it in CF. please
> give some examples if you can.

You can use string patterns within a LIKE or PATINDEX text search. These
string patterns are essentially regular expressions, although they're not
really called that within SQL. For example, you could search for "foo" or
"boo":

WHERE field LIKE '[bf]oo'

or you could search for anything like "_oo" other than "foo" or "boo":

WHERE field LIKE '[^bf]oo'

Beyond that, I think you'd probably have to write an extended stored
procedure in C++, but I could be wrong on that.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444