> > If we set up CF to run not as a system account but under
> > its own user account do we then have to give that user
> > account permissions to access any folders on which we
> > want to use cfdirectory, cffile, etc.?
>
> Yes. Full details of required permissions for CF on Windows
> with IIS are available here:
> http://www.defusion.com/articles/index.cfm?ArticleID=89
>
> Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Thanks for the reference. Good stuff. A lot of it is over my head . . .

As a matter of general principle, is it acceptable or good practice to set
up ColdFusion server under its own account?

We have a requirement to bring back lists of files from folders on remote
servers and then make links to the remote files. To do this we need to run
CF under its own account instead of under the system account. Since this is
our only CF server, should we let the requirement to access remote
folders/files drive the type of account under which CF runs? Are there
drawbacks to switching CF from running under a system account to running
under its own account? What would you do?

Thanks!

George
[EMAIL PROTECTED]