I've seen this happen with a dropdown field! I only see it  because of I
have my error handler email me. Otherwise I have never been able to
recreate it. I think perhaps there is an off the wall bug in CF that can
cause it not to stick the form variables in the usual structure. I've
only seen it in 4.5 though...

Your best bet is just to test for existence of all of the form fields
before allowing futher processing, or perhaps just switch over to url
variables.

jon