This is a test i did where a put a string with #'s in a text file and them
read the text file into a variable, much like you are doing with a query.
the only thing that is different is that i escaped the #'s inside the
replacenocase function. See if this helps you out.

test.txt
========
This is # a # test ##

index.cfm
==========
<cffile action="READ" file="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\test\test.txt"
variable="myXML">
<cfoutput>#ReplaceNoCase(myXML, "##", "####", "ALL")#</cfoutput>

Resulting Output
This is # a # test ##
This is ## a ## test ####

Anthony Petruzzi