Well this is what I have done, and it works just fine.

My server people won't like it though. They are firmly of the opinion
that OLEDB <--> SQL Server is much more stable than ODBC <--> SQL
Server.  (and the reverse with connections to Access)

Strange that it says in CF_administrator "To configure a data source for
client variable storage, first configure an ODBC, OLE DB or native data
source... "