On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:51:05 +0100, in cf-talk you wrote:

>Jamie,
>
>> I'm looking for a custom tag that will do the kind of conventional
>> (passphrase-protected, but keyless) encryption that PGP can decrypt.
>>

>PGP requires two keys, one public and one private.  To encrypt, you must use
>the public key and to decrypt you must use the private key.  This means that
>there is no way that you can encrypt something without a key and have PGP
>decrypt it.
>
>What is it that you are actually trying to do?
>
>Regards
>
>Stephen

Well, what I'm referring to, is one of the options within PGPtools'
"Encrypt" dialog box. By default, it asks you to select your keys.
However, there is a checkbox for "Conventional Encryption." If you
select that, keys are grayed out (keys are bypassed). Instead, you
just enter a passphrase.

To Deencrypt, you simply enter in the same passphrase.

>What is it that you are actually trying to do?

I'm dynamically generating a text document, which is automatically
cfmailed to selected recipients. I need to encrypt these text files,
and I know the recipients use PGP software. Therefore, I would like to
send these emails as "conventionally encrypted," so that I could
simply supply recipients with a passphrase. Then they could deencrypt
within PGPtools using that passphrase. I don't need the extra security
of public/private key, I just need to reasonably protect the otherwise
clear text.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Jamie