Two functions, one way,

Check from the start of the string.

<cfif left(city,3) eq "st ">

Or go with a regular expression, which you could either pin to the start of string of
look for a space character before the st

Jerry

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/18/02 05:22PM >>>
I'm stumped...

If a city is entered as "St Louis", I want to change it to "Saint Louis". I
did <cfif city contains "st "> and did a replacement (note the space after
"st".

However, if I have a city such as "East Hartford" the "st " is changed to
"saint" as well... essentially, I need to know if the "st" (or "st.") is
stand alone and not preceded by any other letter.

Any ideas?

Sincerely yours,

Jim Gurfein
President, CEO