Thanks to everyone who replied.

I knew I could use isdefined("aStruct.aField") but
I was just wondering what the rationale was behind
invalid syntax error for
isdefined("aStruct['aField']"). Dave's explanation
that I should really think of it as two separate tests
was pretty good.

Also, I don't like to use isdefined("aStruct.aField")
because sometimes I might have spaces in "aField" and
that would cause IsDefined to choke, so
StructKeyExists() is the way to go for me.

--- stas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why not simply
>
> <cfif isdefined("aStruct.aField")> ?

=====