Hi everyone - New to this list, so what better way to start chiming in on
threads than an old standby issue - Cold Fusion - everybody's punching bag...

I'm only intermediate at CF, however I've been managing web development
since January of 95.  I've managed CF teams (had the pleasure of working
with Michael Dinowitz at ANT Internet back in 96 and 97), ASP and JAVA
developers, C++ guys, VB  guys, and even managed a site where the
programmer insisted on using FOXBASE for a real estate site!

The concept of Business Rules really has NOTHING to do with the language
used from a managers perspective (I've managed 400 friggin sites being
built from the smallest mom and pop site to half million dollar systems and
business rules are business rules that, given the right manager and
development team, ANY of these languages would have been able to implement
- the truth is, as so many have said, in most situations nowadays, you can
build it in Cold Fusion faster, cheaper, leaner than in all the rest.  Add
tie-ins to the mix, and CF CAN be used for the biggest of the big.  While
the issue of speed, extensibility, security, and legacy tie-ins do come
into play, there's nothing HOKEY about using Cold Fusion mixed with other
compatable technologies where needed.  Even in the biggest of the big
sites, if CF is the primary language, and if it's only used for 85% of the
code work and heavy lifting is shared with other technologies, that 85% CF
is so much more worth the savings in deployment and lines of code that it's
no joke.

I had the pleasure of meeting with Sun Microsystem's IPlanet team back in
the summer of 2000 - they were called in to evaluate a proprietary
technology that my company had developed for componentized site automation
that we were presenting to the head of Sun's eBusiness unit.  I spent half
a day doing my best to help their lead Java programmer understand how it
was possible that my Cold Fusion team was able to build entire world-class
best-of-breed components at the rate of five components for every ONE
component his team was building in pure Java.

He was lost.  Clueless.  Couldn't grasp it.   Like trying to tell a AMA
member Doctor that accupuncture really can help a person to heal carpal
tunnel WITHOUT surgery.

SO there you have it - I've seen it time in and time out - geeky guys who
think they know all the answers and that THEIR language is better than Cold
Fusion are just that - geeky guys with a closed mind and an arrogance that
cause a manager like me would kindly ask them to leave quietly if they
aren't able to back up their words with real world issues based
specifically on their complaint.