This might not help you but just off the top of my head.... If I were to
write a script to do this I might approach it like this or a rendition of
this. I don't think you can do this sort of thing with DTS but I could be
wrong. I just wrote it out so it would be easier to look at. I hope this
makes sense.

select distinct(foreign_id) from table
        cfoutput though query
                insert into new_table (id,Foreign_ID) values('IncrementingNumber',
'Whatever current foreign_ID');
                        update new_table set
                        <select value from table where foreign_ID='Whatever current
foreign_ID'>
                                cfoutput though new_query
                                         value#NewIncrementingNumber#='#query.value#'
                                /cfoutput though query
                        where foreign_ID='Whatever current foreign_ID'
        /cfoutput though query

or you could write a text file for DTS to pick up. The code below would need
to be on one line. You could write the same sort of thing in TQL to be
executed in a stored procedure.

select distinct(foreign_id) from table
Write file
        cfoutput though query
                "IncrementingNumber", "Whatever current foreign_ID"
                        <select value from table where foreign_ID='Whatever current
foreign_ID'>
                                cfoutput though new_query
                                        , "#query.value#"
                                /cfoutput though query
        /cfoutput though query
/Write file

Somebody chime in if they can see a better way.

Thanks,

Dave