The following message is being posted for Libby Freligh, ColdFusion
Product Manager, who for some reason was unable to do so herself (kept
bouncing).

I want to respond to the CONNECTSTRING comments. I know how useful this
feature is and it was a difficult decision when we realized that we were
not going to be able to support it in this release. The reason, as James
points out, is that JDBC has no notion of CONNECTSTRING as ODBC does. In
the CFMX Server product, we rely on the underlying application server
engine (in this case JRun) to handle the datasource creation and it has
no notion of dynamic calls to create connection pools on the fly. We
went over a couple alternatives, like the one posted to the list,
however they have inherent drawbacks. The most obvious drawback is that
by making a direct connection, you bypass pooling and debugging
capabilities, which is not a good option for most of our users (this
option should work, btw, if it is appropriate for your app). We will
continue to look into this issue to see if we can find a solution that
gives you the functionality that you want and allows us to offer a
supportable solution.

l.