From: BILL BROWN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 5:00 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Distributing self-contained CFMX apps

Actually, you're exactly right.

I was planning on working on interesting apps for underserved markets.
The small businesses that could never afford an intranet or
custom-developed applications, but is willing to buy prepackaged apps if
apps existed to serve their needs. My thought was to develop
intranets-in-a-box that used CF Express--message boards that could be
used by mechanics or different hotel staff. By developing specific
versions customized to a particular niche or industry, you can spread
the cost around while creating apps without competitors. I never pursued
it because I think CF Express is too limited for some of the things I
wanted to do. If CFMX had a full-featured, single IP edition for dirt
cheap, the price could be absorbed pretty easily I think.

The cool thing for Macromedia is that many businesses outgrow a single
PC and require more of a networked solution--meaning they'll have to
upgrade to a full-featured CF server.

Bill

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 5/1/02 1:51 PM >>>
On that note, I would think it'd be in MM's best interests to develop a
method to do this - maybe the Developer Edition? with proper licensing?
version which is in single IP mode immediatly upon install??

I can't help but think how if a tool like this existed, it would get
used in
a large(er) number of places, thereby promoting sales of the
Professional
and Enterprise versions.  After all, business folks would be caught by
the
"wow" factor, or "I want to do that too" phenomena, boosting interest
(and
indirectly, sales) in CF.

My thoughts, but I closed my one man business cuz I realized I didn't
have
what it takes when it comes to marketing and accounting.  So, maybe I'm
blowing chunks with this idea....

Shawn Grover