Yes, you can change a CSS style by using Javascript, I cant remember off
the top of my head exactly how but it can be done by referencing the
objects style (or BG) and colour.

item.style.color='#4d4d4d';

and then asking it to change it on mouseover/mouseout.....

onMouseOver="colourChange(this,'009933');
onMouseOut="colourChange(this,'666666');"

where colourChange is your function for manipulation...

Neil Clark
Team Macromedia
http://www.macromedia.com/go/team

Announcing Macromedia MX!!