From: Rob Baxter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 2:10 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: SQL Server 2K indexing

Jim,

Short answer no with an if. Long answer yes with a but..... just kidding ;)

You can certainly create and index which contains multiple columns. Whether
or not you want to do this is another topic completely.

There are alot of questions which you need to answer to properly index a
table. What kinds of queries will be run against the table? What fields will
be most often searched or joined on? How many updates/inserts are
anticipated? All of these things should be taken into account because they
can have a large impact on index tuning. For example if you said that most
of the searches would be done on names you might want to create a clustered
index on (last_name, first_name). Also your table seems to be missing a
primary key? Is it (office_id, position_id)? I would add a primary key
(which will automatically create an index on those fields, you probably want
it unclustered but again it's difficult to say without knowing your data
patterns).

Another option is to let the SQL Server (assuming you're using sql server,
other db vendors likely have similar tools) Index Tuning Wizard do the work.
This will allow SQL Server to watch your table in action so to speak and
suggest index improvements. This is a good solution if you are unsure about
the types of queries that will be run against your table.

</rob>