Thanks Stacy.

I did post on the beta forum as well and got a reply that this would come
with the J2EE versions, but it may have been that I didn't ask the right
question (see below). doesn't conclusively say you can't do it, just that
the J2EE version will implement it properly.
I am using IIS unfortunately and it seems more involved than for Apache. I'm
sure that for IIS the process must have changed, it used to involve ini
files that of-course aren't there anymore.
Thanks again I'll post if I get anymore info.

I asked:
Does that mean that NEO can run on top of a JRUN4 installation on another
server? In other words in distributed mode with the app server separate from
the web server?

The answer:

I asked product marketing and the answer is:

CFMX for J2EE is a separate version that will come out after the release of
the CFMX Server. We will have more details about the features of CF MX for
JRun as we go into beta next month.