Your code is most likely throwing an exception error, after which no CFML
can be processed. There are multiple error types which may be thrown
(exception, request, monitor and some other I can't remember).

Though you did not say it, I bet your <cfmail> tag is getting processed some
times (like when a request error is thrown),  leading you to believe the
code in the error template is buggy.<<

Sorry, I wrote that wrong, reverse 'exception' and 'request'.    I meant to
write:

Your code is most likely throwing a request error, after which no CFML
can be processed. There are multiple error types which may be thrown
(exception, request, monitor and validation).

Though you did not say it, I bet your <cfmail> tag is getting processed some
times (like when a exception error is thrown),  leading you to believe the
code in the error template is buggy.

-Craig (I'm glad it's Friday afternoon).