>You're right, Oracle reads from the bottom up.  It's good practice to place
>your most limiting conditions at the end of the where clause, and work your
>way up from there.

Um, not exactly. I remember reading in the 8i docs and then just confirmed
with our Oracle DBA that the 8i and higher versions of Oracle no longer work
from the bottom-up. It's indifferent now due to optimizations in the query
engine (I'm not all that big into the "under-the-hood" features, so I don't
have more details than that).

I would agree with Dave Watts's statement that using Oracle's EXPLAIN PLAN
(which, yes, is the equivalent of SQL Server's SHOWPLAN) to prove this
concept would be your best bet.

Regards,
Dave.