The only sure-fire way to track bounces is to use a unique return path for each mail.
For example:

The "12345" in the above example is a unique ID that you use to look up the original
recipient of the mail (possibly a unique ID in
a database).  This would require that you have an automated server that can process
these types of addresses (if you look at the
headers in a list mail from Topica you will see these types of unique return path
headers).

If you use a single POP account to process bounces then you will never get 100%
automation.  Your custom headers will not be in all
of the bounce messages that come back.  I know of some list administrators that
process these bounces by hand but this becomes
cumbersome for large lists.

Regards,

--
Howie Hamlin - inFusion Project Manager