I've done as Howie describes, but I would always "reverse engineer" it.  I'd
start with a Word Doc, "Save as" RTF, then analyze the heck out of the
resulting file.  Use the spec to help read and adapt.

Now your server code writes the RTF (which is all ascii) code to a file,
names it something.rtf and you're set.

(I used to do this to produce word docs from HyperCard ... Guess that ages
me, doesn't it ;-)

Good luck!

Jevo
http://www.dragonflygirl.com/resume