I have a table relationship puzzle to solve... thought I might run it by the list
before I commit to tables and code...

A factory builds integrated circuits on silicon wafers, 25 wafers to a lot.
Each Lot has a unique ID.
The 25 wafers each have a unique serialized ID.
The wafers can transfer between lots.

Eventually the wafers are cut up into 50 individual circuits each with their unique
ID(think Pentiums).

The heritage of each circuit can be traced to the wafer and the wafer can be traced to
all the Lots it was ever a part of.

It is possible that each circuit could be further split into several sub circuits.
This is at least three levels now...
LotID
 -WaferID
  -CircuitID
   -SubCircuitID

If I make it typical relationship table structure there would be a table for each
level with children related to the parent...
SubCircuit relates to
 -Circuit relates to
   -Wafer

I was thinking to make it generic so that we could have any ole number of levels of
part division...
SerialTable
 -serialtable_ID
 -serial_number
 -parent_serialtable_ID
 -
sort of a self referencing table structure...

Anyone ever build anything like this before?
Anyone Care to point out any gotchas you are aware of before I begin?
Thanks again!
~Brian