I randomly cut'n'paste some code that might help. I use similar code to
determine the site to display based on URL. Not sure if this helps. (I have
a create site engine - that allows the user to map URLs to their content.
one website on IIS - that is dynamically generated based on the URL.)

What web server are you using? You could create a separate website for each
subdomain.

<mindless thoughts> It might be easiest to create a switch in the site root
that checks for which folder to display - using the http_host variable.

I should read the rest of the threads...

but here is some code anyway(in application.cfm):
<cfset site = CGI.HTTP_HOST>

<cfquery name="SiteDetails" datasource="dsn">
      SELECT
             Site.SiteID,
                 Site.Name,
                 Site.Description,