Anybody have experience with setting the uuidtoken "registry key" in Unix?

I'm trying to follow TechNote 22427, and guarantee a unique CFToken by setting the
uuidtoken registry key to 1

To do this in Unix we edit the cf.registry file.  Supposedly I just need to increase
the length of the cfid field in cdata and cglobal tables, and add the key:
hkey_local_machine\software\allaire\coldfusion\currentversion\clients\uuidtoken:1

However, the CF server keeps removing that key from the file, and cfidtoken is still
the same 8-character string.

Since the CF server writes its settings to the cf.registry file on shutdown, that
tells me that the key is not being understood. As an experiment, I tried a key of:
hkey_local_machine\software\allaire\coldfusion\currentversion\uuidtoken:1

and CF server left it alone, but cftoken is still the same old 8 character string.

Strange.  Anybody have any ideas?

thanks,
Chris Norloff