A valid SSN is formated like this: xxx-xx-xxxx.

The first three digits have to do with zip code of the person's place of
birth.  Prior to 1973 it was the local Social Security field office number.

* The first three digits will never be "000".
* The first three digits will never be above "770".

The next two digits are the Group number, which has to do with the order in
which SSN's are issued within a particular geographical area.

* The next two digits will never be "00".

The last four digits are the serial number of the individual.  Based upon
the other two codes, there can only be a possible "high number" at any point
in time.  A list of those high numbers can be found here:
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/highgroup.htm

* The last four digits will never be "0000".

For more information on validating SSN's go to:

http://www.cpsr.org/cpsr/privacy/ssn/ssn.structure.html

---mark

Mark Warrick ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Founder, Fusioneers.com / CTO, ZapConnect.com
Phone: 714-547-5386 / 714-667-0203 / Efax: 801-730-7289
http://www.warrick.net / http://www.fusioneers.com
http://www.zapconnect.com
ICQ: 125160 AIM: markwarric Yahoo: Serengeti