Some people will disagree with me, but here goes:

In theory, if you are setting enough application variables (let's say 10
for the hell of it), it makes sense to set them one time only and only
run request.foo = duplicate(application) on every request. This would be
marginally better than setting 10 request vars on every hit. Of course,
10 is a number I pulled out of thin air.

In general, if you are setting a few variables, I'd say to just set them
in the request scope. Maybe you lose 1ms per hit, but I'd be willing to
bet that for 99% of us, this won't impact performance in any significant
way.

That being said - be aware that what I saw above will NOT apply to every
one and every site. Like most things performance-related: details
matter.

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master for Macromedia

Email    : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo IM : morpheus