That sounds somewhat familiar (I've been listening to this kind of talk RE:
Flash Actionscript for quite a while).  It's one of those concepts where I
don't get lost when listening to someone explain it, but when trying to
figure out how to implement I get headaches.

Luckily you've already said that it "isn't really possible" in CFMX, which
neatly takes the weight off of my somewhat taxed shoulders.