From: Patti G. L. Hall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 4:05 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Question: Var when writing components

Now, I know that when you are writing a UDF you use var to scope all local
udf variables, keeping them from existing in the variables scope of the
calling page.  I have physically seen this behavior in my tests.  But...
What I'm not understanding is if var is necessary in the same way or for the
same reasons when writing components.  I know Raymond says it is so... And
I'm not suggesting he's wrong, I'd just like to know why.

When I write a component and do not use var the local variables in my
component stay local to the component... I can't examine them when I'm
viewing the variables scope on the calling page.  Is there a reason (other
than good form) to use var when building a component?  I believe that in
flash var-ing variables actually saves memory space in that the variables
are destroyed when the function ends...

-Patti