Hi Jeremy,

        thought I'd stick this one on the list for the sake of the archives but
if
you want anything else feel free to drop me a direct email.

        You don't need anything other than a JRE to run Lucene.   All you have
to do
is drop a single jar file into your JRUN or equivalent classpath, and bob's
yer wossname.

        The syntax can be a little confusing to begin with but there are some
great
tutorials on the web - some specific to CF.  I haven't had time to release my
own bits and pieces yet but I'll try to get something written up soon.  It's
pretty simple - you write a cf script that invokes some of the java classes,
feed it the relevant information and it will write the index for you - what
fields, levels and weightings you have is up to you.  Then you invoke more
classes, feed in a query and get back an object with all your hits in it -
which is then easy to convert to a cfquery etc.

        Lucene has a number of different "analyzers", which are the intelligent
bits
used for storage and querying, and what provide you with different
capabilities like word stemming, levenshtein distances, boolean queries etc.
Because the querying is so flexible, it's dead easy to add weight to certain
search terms either at indexing time or query time.

        The best part is it works on an inverted index - which among other
things
stores pointers to data items that are already in the index.  Ultimately what
this means is your lookups are extremely fast.

        All in all it's a great solution - and there are a lot of people out
there
developing various addons and ports.  If you get into Lucene at all I'd
recommend googling for a tool called "Luke" - a very simple java utility but
it allows you to peer inside your indexes and perform searches, get stats
etc.  Very handy for debugging.  Oh, and lucene can also handle huge amounts
of records - it performs very well in a couple of production environments
I've added it to.

cheers,
Toby