I realize Jeremy ultimately solved his problem, but for what it's worth, I'll
note that you can indeed cause CF to
pause. It's new as of CFMX, leveraging its underlying reliance on java. It
doesn't cause a CPU loop or other wasteful
processing, but instead literally puts the thread to sleep for x milliseconds.
The following will pause for 2 seconds:

<cfscript>
createobject("java","java.lang.Thread").sleep(2000);
</cfscript>

I wrote a blog on it with more detail, including a function to do it accepting
the time passed in, in 2002:

http://cfmxplus.blogspot.com/2002/10/pausing-your-cfmx-code.html

I'll point out as well that after I joined New Atlanta, I got us to add a
CFPAUSE tag (<CFPAUSE Interval="x">).

Charlie Arehart
CTO, New Atlanta Communications, makers of BlueDragon
(678) 256-5395 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.newatlanta.com/bluedragon/