Thanks Gavin,

That Macromedia technote is the one I thought i'd followed pretty carefully.

Just for information, the download link you gave me d ownloads a version with a MySQL bug in it.  The technote says

[quote]
Connector/J version 3.1.11 and higher cannot be used with ColdFusion MX 7 because of MySQL bug 13469. Connector/J 3.1.10 should be used instead for ColdFusion MX 7 until this MySQL bug is fixed. All Connector/J version 3.0 releases and all version 3.2 releases work with ColdFusion MX 7.
[.quote]

Thats why I downloade v3.0.17 (the latest 3.0.n version) and used that instead.

Ok so it looks like i've followed the correct procedure then. (or thought I did!)  I must have missed a step or maybe got a typo or something like that.   Time to go back and check it all again.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month