If I'm reading you right, all your concerns are serverside..

Problem 1
Seems simple enough...
<cfquery name="images">
     SELECT *
     FROM re_Image
     WHERE propID = #whatever#  --Use cfqueryparam... too lazy to type
</cfquery>

Once you have that,
if images.recordcount gt 0{
 //you have images, display them
}else{
 // No images. Sorry.
}

Problem 2
 Have a look at some of the other sites for inspiration. Used Car sites
are also good. I like drive.com.au. and carsales.com.au

--
Haikal Saadh, Applications Programmer
Teaching and Learning Support Services