On 4/10/06, Angus Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me whether I am right by making the following assumptions;
>
> To make sure the proper client is talking to our server over **HTTPS** with
> XML I can do the following to authenticate them:
> - validate their remote IP (apparently can be spoofed??) to the one we have
> on file
> - work with public keys

this would work well. You could even get your user to setup a
persistent port forward using a public key and then call your xml page
on their local port (say) 1234 and have that portforwarded into your
server via your port 22. And have the website on a separate apache
instance only listening on a certain port to local users. We do that
for some secure web services.  Would be hard to set up if you have
many users tho.

> - have them include a password in the XML packet (obviously this could be
> guessed by brute force)

well you could block a user for x mins if they get their password wrong x times.

HTH

Gav