Andrew:

Select
field_1
, field_2
, field_17
from new_query
where
field_1 not in (select field_1 from old_query)
AND (...the other 16 fields?....)

the uniqueness may not be confined to just one field/column. I think
it's a unique row that's different OR (more likely) duplicate rows of
the same data (but unique in a table)

Scott: the Excel idea is a worthy fall-back plan. wouldn't mind seeing
if there was a simpler SQL way first....

if it was SQLServer2005 I could use the new "Except" keyword....