Over the last 10 years I've had quite a few clients who havent had
much more of an idea of what they want than "i need a web site for my
online store".

Early on, I made the silly mistake of getting started on designs in
the hope that if i gave them some idea of what it could look like,
that would help them pin down more specifically what they needed.
Dumb idea.   I ended up doing a lot of work only to have the client
say "well i dont like that much, so I'll see if i can get a better
idea from someone else."

Lesson:  no design work until you work out from the client what they
want and get a payment up front.  Not even "a few suggested ideas".

Similarly, no dev work either for much the same reason.

And I reckon you cant work out what your design or development
component is going to take you in terms of time and resources until
you pin down what's going to be there.     Do you need a flash expert?
 DBA?  Designer?   How do you know (and therefore how can you cost for
it) if you havent specified out the site?

It's amazing how many people not in the IT business are a bit
surprised by my approach to it.    They wouldnt ask a builder for a
quote on building a house before they even decide how many bedrooms
they need.

As to Duncan's initial question about a rule of thumb as to
proportions of time spent on the different phases of the project -i
doubt whether you could draw a rule of thumb, since so few projects
are just cookie-cutter versions of previous projects.    You have to
spec the job first,  then cost all the rest of the project based on
that.   I guess you could keep track of how much time you spent doing
the spec and build that into the quote, either as a cost/overhead
recovery or a specific quoted item.      Even when I look back at the
sites I've built that are structurally similar, I can't really say
there is a pattern about the amount of time spent on the different
phases.   Even for the "same as that other job" sites, there are
significant differences in the amount of time spent.on each phase.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month