There are a few different ways to respond, and things available via paypal, you can do the IPN way, or we have just implemented the Paypal pro, which fully works in the back ground (server side).

The IPN way will cover some of what you mentioned above (response back from server), and a sort of server side post. With the IPN you can send form elements via cfhttp, which I think then goes to the Paypal website and then sends back a response to your IPN page (see easycfm.com for a description).

But with Paypal pro you can do everything server side (a bit of setting up but once done it is sweet), but the only problem is when we installed was you had to be an American business (with at least 90 days of credit history, we tried to do this 2 days after we registered the business name, and they said come back when you have some history).

With Paypal pro they also give you a testing sandbox to check transactions..

Hope that helps

Carl