Interesting problem.  No technical answers here, but a question to
help clarify...

By secure, do you mean confidentiality of the data or stability of the
information?

If it is confidentiality, then the security is tossed as soon as you
extract the data into the view, regardless of where it came from.

Stability can be addressed on 2 fronts:
a) Address the perception that simply querying the data can impact
stability.  Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems to be more a
factor of the efficiency of the querying tool than the SQL data
itself.

b) Develop a middle-ware solution.  If confidentiality is an issue,
then that will need to be considered.  I developed a solution where
information from .dbf files were extracted on a regular basis in XML
format based on last update and inserted into a seperate SQL DB every
15 minutes or so, as even looking at dbf files can stuff them up due
to date formats and record locking protocols.  I could then query my
SQL to my heart's content.

Be interested in hearing what you come up with.

Chad