From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mark Mandel
Sent: Friday, 28 July 2006 13:53 PM
To: cfaussie@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cfaussie] Re: variables.instance

On 7/28/06, Dale Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> But I thought that the variables scope was only accessible to the CFC that
> you're using it in. Why then would you need to worry?

This is true, but maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

If I wanted to make a copy of the values in a CFC (assuming all it has
is basic types of values in the instance struct) having the instance
struct allows me to do this:
(in cfscript'ish for ease)

function getMemento() : Struct
{
   return duplicate(variables.instance);
}

And it is very easy.

There is no way I could go duplicate(variables), as the variables
scope has reference to LOTS of things - including UDFS that are set to
that CFC, the 'this' scope, and various other pieces.

It's more of a personal preference thing.  I like it because it keeps
things separate, and I don't have to worry about overlap.

> Can the CFC access all variables. Scope, ie ones from other pages / cfc's?

It can access shared scopes (application, session etc), although
getting to those from a CFC is another design discussion.

That make a bit more sense?

--
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
W: www.compoundtheory.com