From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Geoff Bowers
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 6:31 PM
To: cfaussie
Subject: [cfaussie] Re: Fullasagoog a waste of time.

Dale et al,

Dale Fraser wrote:
> I recently dropped all my favourite feeds in Google and put in
> Fullasagoog Coldfusion Blend instead.
>
> Wow, am I disappointed. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm wasting
> my time here. I think someone at Fullasagoog should do something about it.
> Here's the current top 9 Coldfusion Blend Entries

First thing to say is generally I agree.  I'm not a great fan of "off topic"
posts myself but they clearly don't annoy me as much as they annoy some.

There needs to be a bit of a reality check:
1) anecdotally -- about an equal proportion of people *want* to see
non-technical posts from CF insiders.  They feel it humanises the community
and so on.
2) its not computationally trivial to work out what is a good and not so
good post
3) not everyone has a category that is relevant -- if i only take CF posts
from a blogger do I miss the posts they might have on JS, Flash, Flex, SQL
etc?  Many bloggers have many technical interests.  CF itself has many
satellite subjects that should be of interest to CF developers.

I have plans for the next generation Goog to provide some degree of social
interaction to widen the scope for users to be editors and hone the
relevance of posts.  I also have a variety of ideas on how to do this
computationally.

There are some 500 hand picked blogs on Fullasagoog.  And a waiting list of
about half that.  I review each blog before adding it.  I even remove some
blogs I find to be reliably bad.  This is a very subjective and time
consuming process.  Bloggers tools change, their posting habits change,
there are a multitude of human variables associated with maintaining a good
feed.

I will endeavour to find more time to address the concerns you have raised.
But in the end, Fullasagoog is not cash flow positive and is heavily
subsidised by Daemon [1].  It's a bit of a hobby that was built to scatch an
itch of *mine* several years ago and at the moment I've got some sort of St.
Vitus dance going on trying to reach all the other itches.

-- geoff
http://www.fullasagoog.com/

[1]: http://www.daemon.com.au/