I want to be able to open the PDF in the browser (not prompted to save as download).

When they click on the save button in the acrobat tool bar, it currently names the file after the ColdFusion script - in your example ( download.cfm) it would name the file download.pdf

If the email button is clicked, and attachment is chosen, the file that is attached to the email is named after the ColdFusion script exactly, ie, download.cfm - which is no good when you go to open it.

From my testing, I am getting the same results using cfdocument or the cfheader methods.

What I am trying to achieve is give the PDF a default file name.
And at the same time, I don't want the file left on the server.

The main purpose of the PDF is to get a print friendly document. But it would be nice to resolve this issue if the user decides they would rather print or email.