Just to be a pain :)  It's actually quite different, if you're
running parallels on an intel mac.  Parallels runs virtualization,
meaning it doesn't take the kind of power and memory footprint vmware
does - I can run my apps at full speed in a parallels window on my
mac while still running everything else on my desktop.  I don't know
if parallels exists for other platforms (never bothered looking) but
on the mactels you have the advantage of twin cpu so you can split
processing to wonderful effect.

Toby