No, the client still needs to purchase CF. The compiled CF code, while Java,
still relies on the underlying infrastructure of the CF environment (also
embedded in the WAR file) to run your code.

CF 7 adds the option to tell it to not "include CFML source code" when you
build a J2EE archive. This is in the CF7 admin, Packaging&Deployment>J2EE
Archives. Enter a test name to "add" a new archive and you'll see the
options on the next screen.

The online help for the page explains that this option "Specifies whether to
use the original CFM files or to convert the pages to Java bytecode. Select
this field to use plain-text CFM files; clear this field to use Java
bytecode stored in the CFM files".

It's also discussed in the CF 7 manual, "Configuring and Administering
ColdFusion MX", on page 81, or that page at the livedocs is:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/h
tml/wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Documentation&file=00001761.htm

Again, this leave the code as compiled java. I will point out that one
advantage BlueDragon offered (and still does) is that it has additional
options for protecting code and doesn't require deployment as a J2EE web
app. I no longer work for them, so I'd point you to them and their docs (or
their mailing list) to find out more.

/Charlie
http://www.carehart.org/blog/