Andrew,

To say that it has nothing to do with ColdFusion is incorrect - as a
developer has come across the issue developing an application using
ColdFusion.  Sure it is an 'across the board of programming languages' issue
- but that doesn't mean that Adobe cannot note the issue in its
documentation and training guides - which is what Gareth was suggesting.
Robin's suggestion looks to be the neatest solution so far.

Steve