(Sitting here burning DVDs for tomorrow's Flex course, may as well
answer this now :-)

On 25/02/2007, at 1:45 PM, Ryan Sabir wrote:
> Thanks Robin,
>
> That all makes sense, but here's the bit I think I've missed... how
> do I specify "the variable name the controller sets up for the view".
>  Is it as simple as setting a request variable in the controller
> 'request.eventObjectName' and passing that down the line?

Yes, that's pretty much it at it's essence - you all agree on the
names of the variables and their contents, and that becomes the
interface/contract/post box number shared by the business logic and
the view - you could write it down in some code comments if you
wanted it to feel a bit more like a real interface, or you could make
a 'model' cfc that you put in the request scope (or even in the
session scope if scaling to a cluster is unlikely - I suggested this
in my last Webdu talk with stateful view helper cfcs) to make the
property names more formal.

This is all in complete ignorance of how the more recent versions of
Fusebox pass data to the view.  But regardless, if I was doing a
vanilla MVC-style CF app, I'd be doing the above.

> That means I'll have to evaluate() it at run time, a possible
> performance hit.

I don't see why unless its something Fusebox specific - firstly the
variable names shouldn't be changing (that's the point, the model
variable names will outlive the current incarnation of the view code
so there's no harm in the view hard coding these variable names for
the duration of it's relatively short and brutish life), and secondly
there's always the [ ] notation for accessing stuff in a scope or
struct.

Ah, the last DVD finished, I am going to bed :)

Robin

______________

Robin Hilliard
Director - RocketBoots Pty Ltd
Consulting . Recruitment . Software Licensing . Training
http://www.rocketboots.com.au

For schedule/availability call Pamela Higgins:
w    +61 7 5451 0362
m    +61 419 677 151
f    +61 3 9923 6261
e    [EMAIL PROTECTED]