This may be a good place to point out that there is a free service
(mail-archive.com) which serves as a place to archive and provide search/web
interface for mailing lists. Now, with cfaussie using googlegroups, one may
ask, "why bother", but I'm just answering the question that Steve may be
asking: how does one archive messages from *before* the google group was
created? That's just one advantage that the mail-archive service has:
someone can feed it past years of archival messages.

So even with Google Groups running and archiving messages from this group
going forward, it may be worth creating the mail archive as well, if anyone
wants to be able to search Steve's archive. It also solves the dilemma of
"another backup" that Andrew raised, and it also *does* solve the "hiding
email" issue that sparked this thread.

I wrote a blog entry about the service last year:

http://carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2006/11/20/archive_your_groups_mai
ling_list

and one somewhat related:

http://carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2006/11/30/google_groups_as_list_a