Andrew,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:45:04AM +1100, Andrew Scott wrote:
> Tom,
>
> What the hell does standards got to do with it if its internal and not
> needed to be accessed outside of the company? And what drugs are you on...

"Codral Cold & Flu".  What are you trying to imply?

Look, if you want to make up your own system, you're free to.  Just
don't call it DNS.  The Domain Name System includes the system of domain
delegation, and does not include randomly taking over domains which are
delegated elsewhere.  Will *your* Andrew's Improved Domain Name System
(herein referred to as AIDNS) do damage to the internet at large?  Well,
not if you make damned sure it's not visible to the rest of the world.
Can you call it DNS if you're making up your own rules?  Probably not.

So "[w]hat the hell does(sic) standards got(sic) to do with it"?  I don't
think you're being serious.  You can't run a DNS server without bumping
into the DNS standards.

> And yeah well it's a personal choice, as to what you do at work I have a top
> level domain then the sub domain becomes the clients code / name for the
> FQDN.

You mean you do it the correct and well-accepted way?  Fantastic.  Why
are you encouraging someone else to do it the wrong way within their
business?

> But at home I couldn't care less, I have a few sites setup that are
> not client related and I do it because it works for me.

Words fail me.  It's quite apparent that you couldn't care less.  Please
don't espouse that attitude amongst professionals.

I think I shall conclude my part in this conversation at this point. :)

> Andrew Scott
> Senior Coldfusion Developer
> Aegeon Pty. Ltd.
> www.aegeon.com.au