in our experience of using shared development the downtime is minimal.
and who do you have to explain it to ? downtime on testing and
production servers is another issue, but while your in development if
someone changes something that breaks what your working on, they will
know about it very quickly.

The difference is in the time to integrate changes. Your delaying your
integration to (usally) daily we are doing our integration instantly.
If your having major integration issues its usually a symptom of
project management and a problem with work breakdown structure.

maybe this model doesn't work in every development scenario, but it
appears to work for us. I wouldn't dismiss it just because its not the
standard approach.

Pat