Howdy, I don't think you need cfreturn's.

Check here to be sure (Ray's quick ref. for Applicaton.cfc);
http://ray.camdenfamily.com/downloads/app.pdf

If your OnApplicationEnd/OnSessionEnd functions do nothing, then maybe you
should just remove them...?

Also running your server in 'console mode' might reveal more errors.