Argh. You have to provide your credit card to sign up.
In my opinion that's not cool. Free is obviously not free.

Agreed it's marketing. You also have to agree to terms and conditions that
your information will be provided to Adobe.

I think they're using this to to trap more bugs and iron out any problems
(performance issues?) with shared hosting and CF8. Also to get HostMySite on
to CF8 as soon as possible, which is admirable I guess.